VectorVest 7

Help us to improve the VectorVest products!

Support any existing ideas and add your own ideas! You can vote for as many ideas as you like.
Please make sure that your idea is as detailed as possible so that others can understand it and vote for it as well!

How can we improve VectorVest 7?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add buy & hold comparison to backtest results

An important issue for me is always would I be better off trading this system over this time frame vs buying the market. Please add a buy & hold equity curve for the SPY or VVC to the backtest results to help with that evaluation.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with VectorVest
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  BackTests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CREATE A STOP CRITERIA THAT IS BASED ON A PERIOD OF TIME SUCH AS 1-WEEK

If we were able to use a period of time as a stop criteria for the back tester we could rebalance our portfolio on a weekly or monthly basis with the current top stocks from a search. Any stocks that dropped from the top ten list would be sold and new replacements would be purchased from the current top ten stocks in the search.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add a "tightening stops" function to the backtester.

Hi. Quite often, when the market is about to head lower, the folks who give the Daily Color Guard presentations talk about tightening up your stops. However, the backtester doesn't allow for this option, other than doing it manually, which would be really tedious for any extended length of backtest. In addition to Buy Long, Sell Short, Go to Cash, or No Action, it would be extremely helpful to have the option of tightening the stops on what's currently in your portfolio. Thanks!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make Back Tester use Price - Actual for split stocks

Seems like it would be more accurate if VV7 back tester used Price - Actual instead of price for stocks that have split.

Would have to add fields for actual close, open, high, and low price so that VV7 could get an actual average price (Next Day’s Average) or actual open price (Next Day’s Open) for back tester.

Example: Low priced stocks that have split have a higher price but the price actual is the actual low price of the stock before it split. Back tester uses the higher split adjusted price when calculating initial cost. In most cases this…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Simple or weighted MA stop criteria

It would be great if we could use a simple or weighted MA for stop criteria in our back tests. If it were set up just the way it is in the graphs you could select either simple or weighted, and then adjust the days to match the moving average you were wanting to test.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add 'scripting language' to VV

I find VV a powerful platform in terms of allowing the mix of fundamentals and technicals for creating a search or a backtest.
    Unfortunately, the lack of a 'scripting language' to create more complex backtests is not available. This allows only the backtest of very basic strategies since you lack more powerful programming statements like if..then..else, switch... case.. etc. Some indicators in Protrader allow for only a selection from a list which is an unnecessary limitation.

I would like to have a 'scripting language' capability maybe even in a well known language like C# for example. I believe this would…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Backtest Weekly en End of Week

I would like to see in the Bactester the following: now the backtester is created on DAILY basis.

I ask you to give me the choice also for the Backtest WEEKLY and END OF WEEK, like I see in GRAPH-item.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can you please add dividend info to reit performance graphs,i.e.,equals actual performance

dividends greatly impact performance, otherwise, present system
    displayed not accurate.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change Stop Criteria on Market Timing Change

USING THE CONFIRM UP WITH A PORTFOLIO USING STOP 25% GAIN &10% LOSS ON THE UP SIGNAL. ON THE CONFIRM DOWN USING THE SAME PORTFOLIO DON'T BUY NEW POSITIONS BUT DON'T SELL JUST TIGHTEN MY STOP TO 10% GAIN & 5% LOSS AS EXAMPLE. THANKS

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  BackTests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. backtest improvements

I would like to run a backtest where it takes profit (closes trade) at an exact percentage of profit and where it will take a stop loss at end of day price or opening of next day price. I see huge differences here between the stop loss and the take profit percentages over a year long backtest.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Backtester Stop Functionality

Can we add into Backtester a stop functionality whereby a stop is triggered when a Stock's Price (low, high, open or close as selected by the user) crosses above/below (as selected by the user) a Moving Average (EMA, MA etc as selected by the user please?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Backtester Stop Functionality

Can we add into Backtester a stop functionality whereby a stop is triggered when a Stock's Price (low, high, open or close as selected by the user) crosses above/below (as selected by the user) a Moving Average (EMA, MA etc as selected by the user please?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Backtester and Genius need to have an option to protect profits. For example, say the criteria is 50% profit & 10% loss and you have unrea

Backtester and Genius need to have an option to protect profits.

For example, say the criteria is 50% profit & 10% loss and you have unrealized 40% profit. There should be an automatic method to trigger a sale to protect the profits before incurring 10% loss during a downturn. Perhaps a option to sell when 50% of the gain is lost or a trigger based on Moving Average Stop.

I discussed in Tampa with Dr DiLiddo and he agreed this should be an option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Backtest test name field could be longer

I'm finding the name field for each back test to be too short (at 50 characters). That probably seems like a good number of characters but when trying to organize my tests (which accumulate quite fast even without auto tester) I find I'm running out of characters.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide best Contra ETF search in the new CC Sure Fire Success Strategies

I would like to see Contra ETFs and Leveraged Contra ETFs included in the backtesting setups for the 2014 Confirmed Call Sure Fire Success series. This would allow use in IRA accounts. My Backtest results using Leveraged Contra ETFs as a substitute for the Short strategies have yield approximately 3% improvements in % Gain, ARR, and DrawDn percentages.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In the backtester allow a different setting for a neutral after an up signal and a neutral after a down signal.

Allow a different settings for neutrals after an up signal and after a down signal. This would be useful when testing shorts and contra ETFs which often perform better contrary to the direction of the market.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Backtester ATR Stop value recalculated daily VERSUS maitaining the value calculated on the date of enrty trade

Backtester ATR Stop value recalculated daily VERSUS maitaining the value calculated on the date of enrty trade

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

VectorVest 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base